Gifts from the Dead

Not  completely finished, but I’m almost certainly keeping the new chapter.  I’ll have to cut more somewhere else.

I probably shouldn’t have written a chapter named “Gifts from the Dead” right before bedtime at midnight.  Writing is so much fun.

Decisions, decisions

I’ve cut around 3000 words out, but have run into a plot snag.  I can wave my magic writer’s wand or write a new chapter that will significantly eat into the words I’ve cut.  I’m going to write the chapter just to see how it comes out.  And I may have to look for additional material to cut. Decisions, decisions…

Here’s the chart to go with the previous post

Chap Original Count Final Count Cut % Less
Total Count Total Cut Total % less
2 2057 1795 262 12.74% 2057 262 12.74%
3 1823 1691 132 7.24% 3880 394 10.15%
4 2235 2098 137 6.13% 6115 531 8.68%
5 2469 2177 292 11.83% 8584 823 9.59%
6 4148 4221 -73 -1.76% 12732 750 5.89%
7 2323 2268 55 2.37% 15055 805 5.35%
8 3089 3372 -283 -9.16% 18144 522 2.88%
9 1951 1812 139 7.12% 20095 661 3.29%
10 3987 3618 369 9.26% 24082 1030 4.28%
11 2717 2529 188 6.92% 26799 1218 4.54%
12 1932 1899 33 1.71% 28731 1251 4.35%
13 3676 3541 135 3.67% 32407 1386 4.28%
14 3792 3517 275 7.25% 36199 1661 4.59%
15 3915 3483 432 11.03% 40114 2093 5.22%
16 3582 3049 533 14.88% 43696 2626 6.01%

Editing and chapter word counts

I have a chart I’ve been updating over the last few months.  I technically “finished” The Book of Dreams back in late March.  But finished is a relative term especially with a creative project.  In this case, finished meant I had written every chapter, re-written the end of the first book (or actually wrote the end for the first time) and that I had something resembling a complete story.

That’s not being generous enough, actually, the end product by the end of March was very solid.  But it still needed an editing phase.  I set a goal to delete 10% of the total word count (~90,000 words).  I kept chapter word counts of my edits and I’ll post that in a follow-up post.  While I’m not on track to hit my goal, that’s not necessarily a bad thing.  Chapter 2 needed lots of edits because I wrote it a long time ago when I wasn’t as polished a writer.  Chapter 7 had very few edits because I wrote that last year (as part of a new plot device).  Chapter 6 & 8 actually came in higher after the edits, again because of the need to add story for some changes in the plot from when I wrote them years ago.

I’m currently at 6% (2600 words cut out of 44000).  Still gunning for 10% but I’m happy with what I have so far.  I’ll keep posting updates to the editing process as it goes along.